The Gjaid Alm is one of the oldest alpine pastures on the Dachstein plateau at 1,738 meters and can be reached via the Dachstein Krippenstein cable car. The popular accommodation hut is ideal for hikers and mountaineers in summer and skiers, snowshoe hikers and ski tourers in winter.
The special location of the Gjaid Alm on the high plateau of the Dachstein massif, surrounded by a breathtaking mountain backdrop, pine groves and lush alpine meadows, offers a stage for all events, activities and training.
Archaeological finds show that the Almboden was used for livestock as early as the Middle Bronze Age and Roman Age. Thus the Gjaid Alm is probably one of the or is the oldest Alm in the world. Archduke Johann also stayed at the old bull hut on the Gjaid Alm. In 1929, a new hut was built in place of the old bull hut and in 1953 the new shelter was the current Gjaid Alm.
The Gjaid Alm is one of the most beautiful alpine pastures on the Dachstein plateau. Archduke Johann spent the night in the old bull hut on the Gjaid Alm as early as 1810. As early as 1929, a new hut was built in place of the old bull hut. In 1953, the new shelter, the Gjaid Alm that is managed today, was already in place.
The good starting point invites you to numerous hiking and mountain tours, such as Zwölferkogel, Taubenkogel and Gjaidstein are in the immediate vicinity. From here you can hike the Gutenberghaus on the south side of the Dachstein in about 4 hours. The Wiesberghaus and the Simonyhütte, via which the glacier and the Dachstein summit can be reached, are also popular from here.
Whether Alm Kas Nocken, the Gjaid-Alm Brad'l from the Goiserer pork or just a little refreshment - our menu is sure to have something delicious for every hiker and mountaineer. The 2013 newly renovated rooms with hut character are equipped with simple wooden beds. We offer our guests various camps, shared rooms, twin rooms and those who like to sleep alone, of course, also have the option of a single room.
We are looking forward to your visit.
At arrival and departure please take note of the operating times of the Dachstein Krippenstein cable car. (www.dachstein-salzkammergut.com) Arrival not possible by car - only by cable car!
Arrival and departure
- Arrival: from 12:00 o'clock
- Departure: until 10:00 a.m.
- Arrival is via the Dachstein cable car from Obertraun via 3 sections
- Parking free of charge at the valley station
In case of cancellation we charge the following cancellation fees (based on the total price of the booking):
- up to 14 days before arrival 50%
- up to 7 days before arrival 70%
- until 2 days before arrival 90%
- 1 day before arrival or day of arrival 100%.
Cancellation conditions: https://www.gjaid.at/zimmer/
We recommend you to take out a travel cancellation insurance.
- We take the liberty of charging a 50% deposit for a booking.
- Pets on request
- The simply furnished cottage rooms are located on the 1st and 2nd floor
can be booked for extra charge. Please make sure to inform about allergies or intolerances before booking.
- Half board: includes breakfast as well as evening buffet
- Full board: we serve additionally our dish of the day or fresh soup with bread
- Communal washroom is located on the first floor.
- Toilets are located on the first floor and 1st floor.
Bookable additional services
- packed lunch incl. non-alcoholic drink
- shower 4 mim (coin-operated)
- comforter incl. bed linen - for camps
- Bed linen - for camp
- Bath towel/towel
- Hut sleeping bag (rental fee)
- Luggage transport to the Gjaidstation